Entrepreneurs have special characteristics that some people don’t have. They have the ability to take an idea, build a business around it, and gather a great team to build a product that many can benefit from. Can anyone become an entrepreneur? The answer is yes and no. I believe that there are 5 core attributes one must develop in order to be an entrepreneur.
1. You should follow what you’re passionate about if there is a market for it. Make sure that your idea has the potential to help others. I speak from personal experience here, if you’re not doing something that you are passionate about, you are going to be miserable. It wouldn’t matter how much money you are making. Passion will drive your vision. It is the fuel that will keep you going even through the toughest time. Everyone around you will know that you are serious about your vision, because of are passionate about it. You also want to make sure that what you’re passionate about has the potential to be a thriving business. Being passionate about collecting rocks might not replace your 9 – 5 job. Make sure there is a market for it.
2. Solve the right kind of problem. As an entrepreneur, your primary goal is to provide the solution for many people’s problem. The truth is nobody cares about your product, except your parents. They will support you no matter what. Make sure that your product is the solution many have been waiting for. Make sure you validate your product and test your concept with real customers. Having a product that doesn’t solve a problem is useless.
3. The Best Way to grow is by learning as much as you can. Many times we automatically default our minds into thinking that we know what we’re doing. Stop yourself immediately. You don’t necessary have to agree with everything, but not giving yourself the chance to analyze something from a different point of view will cause your growth to stay in neutral. In order to grow as an entrepreneur, you have to be willing to hear from others, and be ready to learn at all times.
4. Must be able to pitch and sell your own product. This is an area that many struggle with. Having the ability to pitch their product and also selling their product face to face. Many are experts at creating beautiful presentations or well written emails explaining their product. If you’re an entrepreneur that struggles with this, it will take practise after practise in order to reach a place where you have no problem getting your points across without losing the customer in the process. Use family members to practise. Make it your goal to pitch and sell them your product.
5. Become known as the expert. People want to work with experts. It gives them great reassurance that you know what your talking about and that you can give them the results they are looking for. Many fool themselves into thinking that the only requirement to become an expert is to read lots of books on the subject or take some online courses. It’s true that you must educate yourself, but you also need to have experience in doing in order to be the expert you claim to be.
You will constantly need to tweak and learn on a consistent basis as an entrepreneur. However, these are important attributes that will help you become a great entrepreneur.